Year of the Ironman




Ironman is every person trying to find out what he can do. Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles, brag for the rest of your life.





I will brag. Not in my own ability, but in the power of God who created me. The God who loved, ransomed, restored, mercied, and graced me. It is in Him I have ability. It is in Him I find strength, refuge, and healing. It is to Him I will strive to give all glory, for this race and the race of life.





I am not going at this alone. Also competing are two friends I have known since childhood. It will be an honor to train and race at their side. My wife and children are what get me through the hours of monotony and keep me going when I want to stop. Thoughts of them ease the pain. My team mates and coach at Tri4Him provide experience, advise, and physical & spiritual support. Success would not be possible without each of these relationships.





It takes a village to make an Ironman and my village is strong. This is my journey through the year of the Ironman. A journey that leads to Panama City Beach, Florida on November 5, 2011



Monday, October 3, 2011

33 days to go

1019- My bib number for Ironman Florida.  The list was released last week and it contains the names of approximately 2800 ambitious athletes.  Some have the ambition to win the race, some qualify for the Ironman World Championship in Hawaii, some (like me) finish within a goal time, others beat the midnight cutoff.  The list ranges from 18 years to over 80 and represents those from all over the US and world.
 
Prior to two weeks ago I had never completed an Ironman distance.  Since then I have swam longer than 2.4 miles twice and ridden over 112 miles just once.  I learned that the Ironman distances are long, yet attainable.  I ran a record long distance of 17 miles and am scheduled for 19 miles next week, but the full marathon will have to wait until race day!  This week we are enjoying a reduced training load in anticipation of our first race rehearsals.  These workouts include a 4,100 meter swim on Friday (2.55 miles) then a 117 mile ride followed by a one hour run on Saturday.  These workouts will acquaint us with the race day experience as well as give us an opportunity to dial in our equipment, hydration, and nutrition.  We will repeat the process two weeks later then begin the two week taper.   
 
Just over four weeks remain until race day and the days and weeks are starting to pass quickly.  My hardest workouts have been running off the bike after riding over 100 miles.  We typically run around three miles and they can be brutal!  It’s during these runs I cannot imagine running a marathon off the bike, but I look to those who have gone before and completed the task.  My faith in my coach and team mates who have gone before remain strong and serve as confidence in my ability to finish the race.  Apart from that things are going really well.  We are all injury free and getting stronger by the week.  We are looking forward to a great week with family, friends, and a few thousand strangers joining us on and around the race course.  The Ironman World Championship will be held on Saturday, so all eyes in the triathlon world will be on Kona , Hawaii .  Unfortunately television coverage won’t be shown until after our race.  I’ve watched almost every year’s race for the past decade, but this year will be the first when I have an idea of what they are truly experiencing!
 
Over the past few days we have finally started getting a little relief from the heat.  Highs are still around 90, but mornings are pleasant with lows in the 60s and make for some really enjoyable runs.  Things around the house are pretty crazy these days.  Nicole has also been in a year long preparation for Clinefest, Claire and Jacob’s school fundraiser.  Like Ironman it all comes down to one day, but requires months of preparation and sacrifice.  I am so proud of the wonderful job she has done organizing volunteers, leading committee chairs, and working with sponsors.  She has definitely earned a few relaxing days in Panama City Beach !  Jacob is about half way through the football season and on route to make a playoff run.  He continues to inspire me and I hope my Ironman experience will someday inspire him to difficult things.  Claire and Bella recently decided dance wasn’t for them and have decided to take up acting.  I can’t wait for their performances!  As promised, no more race reports until after I am an Ironman. 
 
Next up- the iPod playlist that helps me pass the hours and then the final countdown.  Next update will be within a week of race day! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment