Year of the Ironman




Ironman is every person trying to find out what he can do. Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles, brag for the rest of your life.





I will brag. Not in my own ability, but in the power of God who created me. The God who loved, ransomed, restored, mercied, and graced me. It is in Him I have ability. It is in Him I find strength, refuge, and healing. It is to Him I will strive to give all glory, for this race and the race of life.





I am not going at this alone. Also competing are two friends I have known since childhood. It will be an honor to train and race at their side. My wife and children are what get me through the hours of monotony and keep me going when I want to stop. Thoughts of them ease the pain. My team mates and coach at Tri4Him provide experience, advise, and physical & spiritual support. Success would not be possible without each of these relationships.





It takes a village to make an Ironman and my village is strong. This is my journey through the year of the Ironman. A journey that leads to Panama City Beach, Florida on November 5, 2011



Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My favorite things

I have made a claim for my best post ever (see The Plan).  This may be my worst post ever, unless you are a tri-geek like me.  This post is a list of the extensive collection of gear, equipment, and other stuff I have acquired and use throughout my triathlon training and racing.  I hope it may be beneficial to those considering making a purchase or to those getting into the sport.  In swim, bike, run, and other order…

My favorite things
  1. T4H performance membership- There is no way I’d be doing this Ironman thing without my coach, training plan, and teammates.
  2. Aqua Sphere Cayenne goggles- never leak, never fog.  What more can you ask from a pair of goggles?
  3. Cervelo P3- mine is a 2010 Ultegra model named Blackbird and is stock with the exception of the ISM Adamo saddle and Look carbon pedals. 
  4. Quarq power meter- training and racing with power has revolutionized my cycling!  It really takes the guess work out and gives instant and repeatable feedback. 
  5. Zipp wheels- on race day I run a Sub-9 disc and 808 front.  They are light, responsive, fast, and intimidating!
  6. Rudy Project Wingspan TT helmet- It goes on easy, fits great, and perhaps best of all, is almost as cool as my road helmet.  Thanks to our T4H sponsorship, it is also a great value
  7. K-Swiss blade light shoes- ran 13.1 miles at IMTX70.3 with no socks.  No blisters, no pain, and the drain holes kept them dry and light.
  8. Brooks Launch shoes- great light weight trainer.  Slightly heavier than the K-Swiss, but provide more stability and cushion.  I currently own three pairs, two of which will be used at IMFL
  9. Compex- electrical muscle stimulator that is magical!  Prevents soreness and speeds recovery/ healing
  10. Body Glide- You don’t appreciate it until you forget to apply it!
  11. Dailymile.com- like facebook for triathletes.  Tracks swim, bike, & run workouts and has connected me to IMFL athletes all over the country.

Honorable mention
  1. TYR Torque- speed suit that has helped me move from the middle of the pack to slightly better than middle of the pack
  2. Exterra wetsuit- haven’t gotten to use it very many times due to warm weather racing, but it sure is great in cold water!  Exterra T4H sponsorship really makes it a great value
  3. Garmin 500 bike computer- way more data than you could ever use!  Makes intervals super easy to track. 
  4. CompuTrainer- not a lot of fun, but indoor workouts are a necessary evil.  Borrowing one saved me $1,500!
  5. X-Lab wing- fits two bottles behind the saddle to provide for plenty of hydration and storage while keeping the frame clean and aero.  Also holds CO2 kit and spare tubes
  6. Speed laces- nothing slows down T2 like tying laces.  Shoes slip on easy and fit snug
  7. Pickle juice- straight from the pickle jar, nothing cures cramps like a shot of pickle juice!
  8. TYR Convoy bag- holds everything for race day and then some.  Only transition bag I found that carried an aero helmet
  9. Hammer Recoverite- nothing tastes better after a hard workout.  Provides carbs and protein so I can do it all over the next day.  T4H sponsorship keeps it affordable  
  10. Tri-talk podcast- It’s been a while since a new episode has been released, but I still listen to the archive for great advise and information
   
Good stuff
  1. T Mat- I used a towel in transition for a long time, but the T-Mat really helps keep transition neat and clean.
  2. Pull buoy- really helps to break up pool sessions as well as provide body position feedback and build upper body strength
  3. Swim fins- swim drills really sped up my swim, but without my Aqua Sphere Zip fins I’d still be in the pool!  
  4. Specialized pump- I had a cheap one for a long time, but it just doesn’t cut pumping up tubulars to 11 bars
  5. Specialized Tri-vent shoes- easy on and off and comfortable for 100+ mile rides.  Drain holes are there if you need them!
  6. Profile Design Aero drink- provides for hydration/ nutrition while riding in the aero position.  Easy to fill and the aero shape helps break the air over the head tube
  7. Zipp speed box- keeps my gels close and stores everything else I need to carry on the bike.  The shape also keeps the air separated passing over the stem
  8. Garmin 305- easy to read heart rate, pace, distance, and time (and pretty much anything else you want to know)
  9. Fuel belt- provides hydration and nutrition on the long runs in the heat
  10. Ironman perform- good source of calories, carbs, and electrolytes.  It’s on the Ironman course so its on the training rides too
  11. Jack3d- caffeine source that provides race day boost.  Also great for unmotivated workouts

Next post- the IPod playlist that gets me through the long workouts

1 comment:

  1. Things you left out:
    - I would disagree and move the Garmin 305 into the top category. Yes its not a 310XT, but when was the last time you thought about worrying about your pace, HR, or distance. We couldn't follow the plan without it.
    - A pantry full of Hammer and Powerbar products
    - Dozens of water bottles and thats still not enough
    - Most importantly your fantastic Training Partners!!

    ReplyDelete