Year of the Ironman




Ironman is every person trying to find out what he can do. Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles, brag for the rest of your life.





I will brag. Not in my own ability, but in the power of God who created me. The God who loved, ransomed, restored, mercied, and graced me. It is in Him I have ability. It is in Him I find strength, refuge, and healing. It is to Him I will strive to give all glory, for this race and the race of life.





I am not going at this alone. Also competing are two friends I have known since childhood. It will be an honor to train and race at their side. My wife and children are what get me through the hours of monotony and keep me going when I want to stop. Thoughts of them ease the pain. My team mates and coach at Tri4Him provide experience, advise, and physical & spiritual support. Success would not be possible without each of these relationships.





It takes a village to make an Ironman and my village is strong. This is my journey through the year of the Ironman. A journey that leads to Panama City Beach, Florida on November 5, 2011



Tuesday, April 5, 2011

214 Days to go

214 Days to go, but the number on my mind today is 5.  I am five days away from my first 70.3 mile race at Ironman Texas70.3.  I am experiencing the expected mix of confidence, doubt, and excitement.  I have spent the past twelve weeks completing daily workouts geared to this one day.  I have dropped 10 pounds and am in the best shape of my life.  I have completed each of the race distances as well as the race rehearsals.  My swim, bike wattage, and run paces are all dialed in.  My equipment is also in top shape and anxious to race.  Even as I write I am trying to convince myself of these things. 

Galveston is the U.S. Professional Championship, so I'll be chasing many top prefessionals including Chris Lieto, Matt Lieto, Terenzo Bozzone, Andy Potts, and Jessica Jacobs who will be competing for a $75,000 purse.  It is also a very spectator friendly race, so if you've ever wondered what Ironman is all about come see these super-human athletes.

Race rehearsals were completed two and four weeks out from race day.  Friday was a 2200 meter swim.  The first I did in the pool and the second in open water with the wetsuit.  I felt great on both.  Saturday was a 56 mile bike ride at race pace followed by an hour run also at race pace.  The first was completed on the race course along the Galveston seawall, over the San Luis pass and looping back.  Despite the high winds it was a great ride followed by a strong run.  I didn't make it back to the island for the second ride and got started a little later in the day.  Despite more wind I felt good and even shaved two minutes off my previous time.  I struggled on the run though.  It was 2:00 when I started the run and the sun was in full force.  It didn't take long to begin to overheat and my pace suffered.  The good thing is I finished strong.  Bad news is Sunday could be a warm day with lots of sun.

The poor race rehearsal, forecast, wind, and the fact that I have a very long race ahead of me have increased my stress, but I thank God for those supporting me in this.  Last night I received some advice from someone who knows what he is talking about.  Tri4Him had the incredible opportunity to spend the evening with the top American Ironman.  Chris Lieto is a past Ironman champion, runner up at the 2009 Ironman World Championship, and known as the fastest cyclist among professional triathletes.  After a time of worship, Chris began to share about his experiences on triathlon's biggest stage.  Despite there being around 50 people in the room his message spoke directly to me.  He reminded us that regardless of our performance we are loved unconditionally by our God.  Nothing we can do can increase or decrease His affection for us, especially a race.  Chris described resting in that peace prior to the chaotic swim start in Kona known as the "washing machine".  He shared insight from the 2009 Ironman World Championship where despite having the lead with just two miles to go he began to shut down.  Despite being passed by one of the fastest runners on circuit he heard God telling him he would win.  He continued to hear that even after Craig Alexander crossed the finish line and it wasn't until later that Chris realized that despite finishing second in the championship, he won the race that God had called him to run.  So that is what I resolve to do- run the race that God has called me to run; Sunday and everyday.  If I finish within my time I will be thrilled, if not, the sun will still rise Monday morning.  I'll take what I learned and move on; remembering Ironman Florida is the year's A race.

Somehow each blog ends up bragging on my coach and this is no exception.  Each week of this training cycle I have received emails from Boo counting down the weeks and include tips, strategies, reminders, ect.  This week's included a list of 6 things to remember during race week.  You'll have to pay for his services to learn the other five, but I will share #6.

  "6.  Lastly, and most importantly, SHINE FOR HIM!  Let your light shine for Jesus on race day and in all the surrounding days.  When I built your training plan, I prayed specifically for you.  I prayed that if it was His will you'd stay healthy and injury free.  I prayed that you'd make dramatic improvements in your performance level.  I prayed that you'd grow physically and spiritually during this experience.  And I prayed that God would give you the opportunity and desire to be a blessing to others through your training and competition.  You've got literally hundreds of Tri4Him teammates who join me in this prayer for you.  We'll all be with you in the Spirit on race day.

So shine for the God that made you!  Honor Him with your perseverance and determination on the race course.  Glorify Him through your sportsmanship and encouraging words to others.  Run your race fixing your eyes on Jesus who died for you because He loved you so much!  Do not be ashamed or afraid.  Let there be no doubt about the reason for the joy and hope that is inside you.  Let there be no doubt about who you tri 4!"

This is the reason that Coach Boo's training plans are unlike any other.  This is a dynamic that has as much value as any workout or instruction a coach could provide.  This is why I have confidence in my training despite my own doubts.  This is why I appreciate Jeff Booher as much as I do. It is true that despite being an individual sport, I have a team behind me.  We are a solid network of believers who support each other in sport and in life.  I am privileged to be a part of this group.

This past week triathlon season kicked off with a great race in Kemah and with racing so much it was great to just go observe.  There was an impressive field of professionals including two Tri4Him professional/ elite athletes.  Top Ironman triathletes Terenzo Bozzone and Chris Lieto placed 2nd and 3rd respectively, but the day went to 21 year old Andrew Yoder.  It was also a big day for Chad Stevens who completed his first olympic distance triathlon with his boys crossing the finish line with him.  It definitely got me excited for the season to come.

My family continues to be the inspiration and support system I could not do this without.  Nicole's photography is taking off very quickly from all the referral business she's been getting.  She does first class on site photography at a very affordable price.  She does it because she loves it and wants to provide family's with lasting memories.  Check it out at www.capturedbynicole.net.  Jacob started t-ball last Saturday and he is quickly becoming one of the better players on the team.  Claire continues to amaze us with her performance in school and Bella continually amazes us with the ways she comes up with to make us laugh.  These are the ones I love and cherish more than anything.  Our new church, Neartown Church, had its public launch two weeks ago.  This is a body of believers meeting downtown to proclaim the truth of the bible and minister the gospel to those we come into contact on a daily basis.  Information is available at www.neartownchurch.org

Next month- Redemption at Sylvan Beach

1 comment:

  1. What a great entry! Just found your blog from DailyMile. I'll be in Galveston at the 70.3 too. Having mixed emotions all week, but your words resonate with me, so thank you! I really liked this "So shine for the God that made you! Honor Him... Glorify Him... Run your race fixing your eyes on Jesus... Do not be ashamed or afraid."

    Amen!

    ReplyDelete