Year of the Ironman




Ironman is every person trying to find out what he can do. Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles, brag for the rest of your life.





I will brag. Not in my own ability, but in the power of God who created me. The God who loved, ransomed, restored, mercied, and graced me. It is in Him I have ability. It is in Him I find strength, refuge, and healing. It is to Him I will strive to give all glory, for this race and the race of life.





I am not going at this alone. Also competing are two friends I have known since childhood. It will be an honor to train and race at their side. My wife and children are what get me through the hours of monotony and keep me going when I want to stop. Thoughts of them ease the pain. My team mates and coach at Tri4Him provide experience, advise, and physical & spiritual support. Success would not be possible without each of these relationships.





It takes a village to make an Ironman and my village is strong. This is my journey through the year of the Ironman. A journey that leads to Panama City Beach, Florida on November 5, 2011



Monday, March 7, 2011

243 Days to go

I was recently invigorated by reading a race report from last year’s Florida Ironman.  The writer mentioned that once registered, the thought of Ironman was never more than one or two thoughts removed from mind.  I have found this to be true.  One of my training partners recently wondered what really makes you an Ironman....doing an Ironman or waking up every day, month after month, early in the morning to get in a ride, run or swim when all you want to do is hit the snooze button?  He gets up a lot earlier than I do, but we are all learning that Ironman is much more than a race.  We knew it would be, but now we are living out that dream- even when it does cut our dream time!


Our God continues to be mercifully good to us.  Recently while training for Ironman Texas a member was involved in an accident that left her with a separated shoulder.  That’s bad news when you are scheduled to swim 2.4 miles in just over two months.  After a few days and a visit to a renowned shoulder surgeon who happens to be an Ironman and member of Multisport Ministries, she was given the ok to run and cycle and most importantly the nod to race the Ironman.  Her story is at http://www.kellyryanroadtoironman.blogspot.com/.  Since the last post Kyle’s injuries have healed and David’s most recent MRI shows no stress fracture and he is able to begin running again.  A little over a year ago I had surgery to repair a hernia, but over the past few weeks it started bothering me again.  Medically speaking there is nothing short of surgery to remedy this, but I am compelled to tell that after sincere prayer I am no longer in pain and able to continue my training.  This is why we Tri4Him; because we could not without Him      


Triathlon season is almost upon us.  My focus has been slightly distracted from Ironman by my approaching half Ironman race.  This weekend will be my first race rehearsal which includes a 2200 meter swim on Friday then Saturday is a 61 mile ride followed by a one hour run on the seawall.  It is a “dress rehearsal” where we will test our race gear as well as the paces and nutrition guidelines provided to us from our coach.  As locals we are fortunate to be able to test the actual course on Galveston Island that runs from the Moody Gardens complex and heads west over the San Luis pass then back.  We will make adjustments and do the rehearsal again in two weeks in final preparation for the race on April 10.  It is a great spectator race and would love to have as many supporters as possible.  Lots of Tri4Him members will be racing and those that aren’t will have our tent set up, so please come join us.  Info is available at http://ironmanlonestar.com/


My current training plan will end with the race in Galveston and after a few days off I will start a short out season speed building program before my four month Ironman program begins.  The speed building is perfectly timed for the shorter sprint and olympic distance races I have on the schedule.  Last year I had third and fourth place finishes in sprint races, but one of my goals for this season is to place at one of the olympic distance races.  It may be a bit lofty, but I will be gunning for an age group win at the sprint distance races.  Upon completing the eight races I have planned I will have swam 6.8miles, cycled 278.4 miles, and ran 65.6 miles.  Lord willing my schedule is as follows-


4/10
Ironman Texas 70.3
6/12
Sylvan Beach sprint
6/26
Y Freedom sprint
7/24
TriWaco olympic
8/27
Clear Lake International olympic
9/4
Summertime Blues sprint
10/16
Try Andy's Tri sprint
11/5
Ironman Florida




Yesterday was Jacob’s fifth birthday and I could not be more proud of who he is.  He is the most the generous and thoughtful person I have ever known.  I hope he never changes.  Claire turns six next week and she was recently selected to be tested for Friendswood’s gifted and talented program.  I was recently privileged to remove the training wheels from their bikes and I am proud to report that they both inherited my cycling skills.  Jacob even has my magnetism to parked cars! Bella thought she was ready to ride on two wheels, but quickly changed her mind despite early success.  She will be riding soon too. 


I am also very proud of my wife and her new business venture.  Earlier this year she started www.capturedbynicole.net and is taking some wonderful pictures.  She is already booked for weeks, doing family portraits, senior pictures, babies, pets, weddings, ect.  Her prices are very affordable and a portion of the fee goes to help support Neartown Church.  Please check out her site and keep her in mind-


As a family we are excited to see rapid development of Neartown Church.  Despite having met just five times on Sunday mornings we are already experiencing the forging of relationships, sharing of blessings and mourning, and relevant teaching of God’s word.  Our children love and anticipate Neartown Kids.  We are looking forward to next weekend’s retreat then the official launch on March 27.  See what we’re about at http://www.neartownchurch.org/       

No comments:

Post a Comment