Year of the Ironman




Ironman is every person trying to find out what he can do. Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles, brag for the rest of your life.





I will brag. Not in my own ability, but in the power of God who created me. The God who loved, ransomed, restored, mercied, and graced me. It is in Him I have ability. It is in Him I find strength, refuge, and healing. It is to Him I will strive to give all glory, for this race and the race of life.





I am not going at this alone. Also competing are two friends I have known since childhood. It will be an honor to train and race at their side. My wife and children are what get me through the hours of monotony and keep me going when I want to stop. Thoughts of them ease the pain. My team mates and coach at Tri4Him provide experience, advise, and physical & spiritual support. Success would not be possible without each of these relationships.





It takes a village to make an Ironman and my village is strong. This is my journey through the year of the Ironman. A journey that leads to Panama City Beach, Florida on November 5, 2011



Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Race Report #1

1/30/11 Houston Half Marathon
Result 1:52:37

I registered for this race over half a year ago- sort of.  I registered for the Houston Marathon Lottery way back in the hot and humid days of July.  Myself and six others won the grand price; an entry spot into the 26.2 mile Houston Marathon (after we paid the entry fee).  Months later after registering for Ironman and not particularly enjoying the San Antonio Half Marathon Coach Boo advised against running the marathon and I was easily persuaded.  As I was no longer content to just be a marathoner, the risk of injury and fatigue that come with marathon training were not worth the associated rewards, so I dropped to the half marathon (and paid another fee).  With focus on Ironman preparation I began a speed building training plan that never had me running over one hour, but come race day I was confident the increased distance wouldn’t be a problem.  Race week forecast looked ideal; temperatures in the forties and no chance of rain.  Race day was completely different, but quintessential Houston ; unseasonably warm and muggy with a good chance of rain. 

Tri4Him was well represented by runners and supporters as we gathered for our pre-race prayer.  It was still dark and just starting to rain as we made our way to the start.  I was feeling good and hoping for a solid negative split, averaging somewhere around 8:15 per mile.  After some confusion I started at the back of the first wave and immediately hit a wall of humanity crossing the Elysian Viaduct.  It was like being in a hurry in gridlock traffic.  As hard as I tried I could not get around the crowds and took almost ten minutes to complete the first mile.  At times the pace slowed to a walk.  My goal pace for the first 5k had been 8:25.  I knew the time was lost and would only hurt myself if I tried to make it up.  Over the next few miles I ran on medians, sidewalks, around spectators, water stands, and police to try to make my way to the front.  My 5k time was 27:43 at a pace of 8:56.  The next 5k improved as we ran through The Heights.  The crowd had thinned some and the sun had come up.  I completed the first 10k in 54:53 at a pace of 8:51.  As the route turned to the south down Montrose I could see the front of the pack that had completed the U-turn and had the roads to themselves.  As I finally caught the pack running closer to my desired pace it started to rain.  I finished the 15k in 1:21:43 at a pace of 8:47.  I knew the Tri4Him tent was waiting around mile 11, just outside downtown.  At this point I finally settled into my pace, enjoyed the rain, and looked forward to a personal record, even though it was not what I had hoped for.  Downtown greeted us with strong headwinds being funneled between the buildings.  For a brief moment I appreciated all the wind I had been training over the past few months.  I crossed the 20k mark in 1:47:23 at a pace of 8:39.  Feeling great I picked up the pace and finished in 1:52:37 at an average pace of 8:36, beating my Austin time and setting a PR by 5:15.

Of the six lucky lottery winners, only one other crossed the finish line that day.  Three had injuries that sidelined them, two of which are my Ironman partners.  Fortunately they are healing and will be back soon.  This was my fourth half marathon and I can say despite the weather and pacing issues I enjoyed it the most.  I set a PR, recovered quickly, and even had my picture posted on the ABC13 website! http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/gallery?section=news&id=7929006&photo=26

My next 13.1 mile race will be in Galveston after a 1.2 mile swim and 56 mile cycle and I’m really looking forward to it-    

No comments:

Post a Comment