Year of the Ironman




Ironman is every person trying to find out what he can do. Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles, brag for the rest of your life.





I will brag. Not in my own ability, but in the power of God who created me. The God who loved, ransomed, restored, mercied, and graced me. It is in Him I have ability. It is in Him I find strength, refuge, and healing. It is to Him I will strive to give all glory, for this race and the race of life.





I am not going at this alone. Also competing are two friends I have known since childhood. It will be an honor to train and race at their side. My wife and children are what get me through the hours of monotony and keep me going when I want to stop. Thoughts of them ease the pain. My team mates and coach at Tri4Him provide experience, advise, and physical & spiritual support. Success would not be possible without each of these relationships.





It takes a village to make an Ironman and my village is strong. This is my journey through the year of the Ironman. A journey that leads to Panama City Beach, Florida on November 5, 2011



Monday, December 6, 2010

333 days to go

Two statements have struck me as of late.  One is inspirational, the other is a reminder.  The first is from President Kennedy and gives props to my Longhorns.

But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas? We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win-

All who aspire to race the Ironman are asked why.  Why choose this as our goal? This is one of those "other things".  Like going to the moon, climbing Everest, flying the Atlantic, or the Owls playing the Longhorns, some things are worth doing because they are hard; because they require dedication, investment, faith, and imagination; because they require us to lean on those around us to make us better; because we cannot go at it alone; because the goal of the Ironman will measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one we are willing to accept, and now unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.

Rice has only beat Texas twice in the 48 years since that 1962 quote, but about a month later they tied 14-14.

The other has been cited from coming from Bear Grylls' mom.  Not sure if that is accurate, but Bear has done some pretty cool stuff, so I'll go with that.

Commitment is doing the things you said you would do, long after the mood you said it in has left you.

We've been back about a month from Florida and the awe of being at that finish line has diminished.  You might say the mood I was in the morning of on-site registration has left me.  That mood has been replaced by early mornings, cold temperatures, and lonely workouts.  Though the mood has left, the commitment remains.  This is where Ironman is making me a better man.  I've been left by many moods in my life.  Rarely have I ever been in the same mood as I was at my wedding, or the delivery of my children, or acceptance of my job, yet my commitments to wife, children, and career are more resolved than ever.  Nothing compares to the season of salvation where sinner becomes friend of God, but my commitment to faith is steadfast.  The race is 333 days away, but I will learn from the important things in my life to see me through this.

Since the last post I completed the San Antonio half marathon in 1:59:02, making my goal of finishing in less than two hours.  Coach Boo has advised high risk and low reward for training and racing the Houston marathon, so I have decided to run another 13.1.  My training has switched to an out-season endurance and speed building plan which I am really enjoying.  The cool weather has even convinced me on occasion that I enjoy running.  Shins splints haven't been a problem and I am feeling good.  I've dropped a few pounds and hope to lose a few more to get the ideal composition of 12% body fat. (Christmas parties are slowing the efforts)  I had a great run into a beautiful sunset this evening.  Knee is a little sore, but some ice will fix that.  Next up- Houston half marathon 1/31/11

Be sure to catch the Ironman World Championships from Kona airing on NBC Sunday at 3:00.  Keep an eye out for T4H members Cindy & Clay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYYwBan8blk

No comments:

Post a Comment