Year of the Ironman




Ironman is every person trying to find out what he can do. Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles, brag for the rest of your life.





I will brag. Not in my own ability, but in the power of God who created me. The God who loved, ransomed, restored, mercied, and graced me. It is in Him I have ability. It is in Him I find strength, refuge, and healing. It is to Him I will strive to give all glory, for this race and the race of life.





I am not going at this alone. Also competing are two friends I have known since childhood. It will be an honor to train and race at their side. My wife and children are what get me through the hours of monotony and keep me going when I want to stop. Thoughts of them ease the pain. My team mates and coach at Tri4Him provide experience, advise, and physical & spiritual support. Success would not be possible without each of these relationships.





It takes a village to make an Ironman and my village is strong. This is my journey through the year of the Ironman. A journey that leads to Panama City Beach, Florida on November 5, 2011



Monday, December 12, 2011

Soli Deo Gloria

The five solas are five Latin phrases that emerged during the Protestant Reformation.  The five solas articulated five fundamental beliefs, pillars which Reformers believed to be essential of Christian life and practice.  Sola scriptura teaches the scripture to be the authoritative word of God.  Sola fide teaches salvation by faith alone, Sola gratia by grace alone, and Solus Christo through Christ alone.  Soli Deo Gloria declares that all glory is due to God.  My hope over the past year as I prepared for and raced the Ironman is that it would bring glory to God.  In that, there was nothing special about the Ironman, it was simply something I was doing and therefore my ambition for it was to honor Him.  I hold this ambition throughout my role as husband, father, banker, friend, triathlete, golfer, football fan, and everything that defines me.  The Ironman was special in that it allowed a platform to share my faith as well as the faithfulness of my God.  It allowed me to demonstrate to myself and other the incredible ability of the bodies He created.  It required me to look outside of myself; to lean on Him and those He has placed around me for support. 

Ironman requires sacrifice and that sacrifice results in pain.  Sacrifice and pain are not felt just on race day, but on each day of the journey.  The only way to continue submitting yourself to such is to learn to delight in sacrifice and find joy in pain.  A perspective of the prize is required to endure.  The costs of Ironman cannot compare to the price paid by Christ as he experienced the passion, but He demonstrated strength and resolve that provide us hope.  The scripture tells that it was for the joy set before Him that He endured the cross and scorned its shame.  Christ delighted in sacrifice and took joy in pain knowing that the result would provide for reconciliation between man and God. 

Many Ironman finishers chose to commemorate the achievement with a tattoo of the Ironman logo.  Despite my phobia of needles, I was always open to getting a tattoo; I just never could commit to anything being permanently drawn on my body until Ironman.  The Ironman title is for life, and so is my tattoo.  I am no artist, so I wasn’t sure what my tattoo would look like.  Long before I even registered for the Ironman I knew I wanted to include Soli Deo Gloria.  This would describe the purpose of my life, including my Ironman journey.  I also felt a crown of thorns would demonstrate Christ’s passion and willingness to endure pain in order to gain the prize of salvation for humanity.  I believe it is fitting that the crown and phrase are in the foreground and the Ironman logo serves as the background.        

Like most things I do, I did extensive if not excessive due diligence prior to getting the tattoo.  I consulted others who have been branded with an M-Dot and researched artist.  My wife made fun of me for this, but she was going with me to get a “youthful indiscretion” covered up.  An artist came highly recommended and after learning that she was a triathlete, I was sold.  We made the trip to 6th street in Austin and despite my nervousness, it was a great experience.  I drove Megan a little crazy finalizing the stencil; it was an epic clash of the free thinking tattoo artist and the type A triathlete!  I had long dreaded the needle, but took comfort in the fact I have never seen a half finished tattoo.  The sensation was not nearly as bad as I had feared and after a few minutes I relaxed and enjoyed the experience.  Fortunately I was easily distracted by our triathlon conversation!  If you’re considering a tattoo, she is definitely worth the trip!  www.bijoustudio-atx.com Megan, thank you for your patience and sharing your talent with me.

We are now five weeks removed from Ironman.  I have made a complete recovery and gained at least five pounds!  Immediately after returning home I decided to take advantage of my fitness and mark marathon off my bucket list.  The Houston marathon lottery was months ago, so in order to gain entry I am currently campaigning to raise $1,000 for the Down Syndrome Association of Houston.  Be a part at http://www.ChevronHoustonMarathon.com/Donate/PersonalPage.cfm?MID=8256&CRID=33&CID=305.  My second workout after Ironman was a 16 mile run; no rest for the weary!  My training plan execution was almost flawless in preparation for Ironman, but not so much anymore!  I have gotten in all my long run workouts, but otherwise I’ve taken a few more rest days than prescribed.  I am confident I will do well in the marathon and I’m enjoying the extra down time.    

My favorite season is upon us!  I love Christmas, NFL playoffs, BCS bowls, cool temperatures, and a new year.  The kids are wrapping up their first semester and looking forward to the break.  We were heartbroken when Jacob’s football team lost one game shy of the super bowl.  Claire and Bella are about to making their acting debut at the playhouse they have been taking classes at.  Nicole’s photography is getting really busy.  She is doing some really cool stuff with family portraits, senior pictures, wedding, headshots, and pretty much anything else people want pictures of.  Check out her latest at http://www.capturedbynicole.net/        

No comments:

Post a Comment