Year of the Ironman




Ironman is every person trying to find out what he can do. Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles, brag for the rest of your life.





I will brag. Not in my own ability, but in the power of God who created me. The God who loved, ransomed, restored, mercied, and graced me. It is in Him I have ability. It is in Him I find strength, refuge, and healing. It is to Him I will strive to give all glory, for this race and the race of life.





I am not going at this alone. Also competing are two friends I have known since childhood. It will be an honor to train and race at their side. My wife and children are what get me through the hours of monotony and keep me going when I want to stop. Thoughts of them ease the pain. My team mates and coach at Tri4Him provide experience, advise, and physical & spiritual support. Success would not be possible without each of these relationships.





It takes a village to make an Ironman and my village is strong. This is my journey through the year of the Ironman. A journey that leads to Panama City Beach, Florida on November 5, 2011



Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Plan

Earlier this week Coach Boo sent out the 16 week race prep training plans that will prepare us for Ironman Florida.  As I awaited the start of a race Sunday morning I had a bit of an epiphany that has lingered on my mind since.  I have absolute faith that I will be able to complete the 140.6 mile endurance test known as the Ironman.  There are always variables that could prevent me from becoming an Ironman, but lack of fitness, endurance, or ability will not be an issue.  I make that bold statement based not on my own ability, strength, skill, or talent, but my faith in the plan, its author, and those who have gone before me.

The race prep is a classical periodization plan that includes mesocycles of measured stress followed by recovery.  Its focus is building endurance on top of the speed that was gained in the previous cycle and getting us from the beach to the finish line before midnight.  Its author, Jeff Booher, is a proven and qualified coach.  In addition to being the founder of Tri4Him and 4x Ironman finisher, Coach Boo is a USA Triathlon level II certified coach.  He is also certified by USA Cycling and USA Track & Field.  His 20+ years of coaching beginners to professionals has culminated in the creation of the TriDot system that creates individualized plans based on measured performance parameters as well as over 40 athlete-specific data elements that include age, body composition, experience, goals, capacity and many others.  The result is a custom built plan that when executed leads to proven success.

In addition to the plan, I base my confidence on those that have crossed the finish line before me.  In the past year I have seen some of my best friends become Ironmen.  Like me, none of these have been particularly gifted or talented athletes.  They have had to work for every bit of success they have achieved.  They woke up before sunrise and put in the long hours.  They endured the soreness, pain, and injuries and would unanimously agree the thrill of completing the race was all worth the sacrifice.

As I shared all of this with a friend I realized the parallels to faith.  In Hebrews we are told to "run with endurance the race set before us".  Just like in this Ironman endeavor, we are given a plan for the race of life.  Jeremiah states ""For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"".  This coach is also more than adequately qualified.  Hebrews continues, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."  Timothy described the plan as being "God-breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

These instructions to "run with endurance" and "fix our eyes are on Jesus" are preceded by accounts of those who went before or a surround as "a great cloud of witnesses".  Men like Noah who built the ark, Abraham whose faith was credited as righteousness, and Moses who lead God's people from slavery.  There was "Gideon, Barak, Samson and Jephthah, David and Samuel and the prophets, who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies" not based on their own ability, strength, skill, or talent, but faith in the plan and it's author.
A complete guide to TriDot training system is available at http://www.tri4him.com/tlets/T4H-Guide-to-Training-Plans.pdf

1 comment:

  1. You tied the gospel in very well with the plan laid out before you. I have no doubt you will have a great race simply b/c you will be thoroughly prepared. Gotta hit your latest post now. See? I follow directions. Signing in from AOL b/c I can't comment via my google acct from work for some reason. So I am cb, otherwise known as KC from 140.6 miles or KC from Dailymile.

    ReplyDelete