Year of the Ironman




Ironman is every person trying to find out what he can do. Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles, brag for the rest of your life.





I will brag. Not in my own ability, but in the power of God who created me. The God who loved, ransomed, restored, mercied, and graced me. It is in Him I have ability. It is in Him I find strength, refuge, and healing. It is to Him I will strive to give all glory, for this race and the race of life.





I am not going at this alone. Also competing are two friends I have known since childhood. It will be an honor to train and race at their side. My wife and children are what get me through the hours of monotony and keep me going when I want to stop. Thoughts of them ease the pain. My team mates and coach at Tri4Him provide experience, advise, and physical & spiritual support. Success would not be possible without each of these relationships.





It takes a village to make an Ironman and my village is strong. This is my journey through the year of the Ironman. A journey that leads to Panama City Beach, Florida on November 5, 2011



Monday, May 9, 2011

180 days to go- yikes! Half way there

“Make no mistake, It’s not revenge he’s after; it’s a reckoning” 

Tombstone has always been one of my favorite movies and even though it’s been a while I can still quote the vast majority of it (to Nicole’s chagrin).  The afore mentioned quote from that movie comes to mind as I approach my next race- the Sylvan Beach triathlon.  I was registered for last year’s race, but five days prior I was injured while doing a race prep.  As I rode into the sunrise, I committed a rookie mistake, riding with my head down.  At 25mph, only a fraction of a second passed between the time I saw the pickup truck parked in the road and I slammed into the tailgate head first.  What happened next is a little foggy.  I remember a nurse pulling over and checking for my pulse.  My heart rate monitor was still working, so that was easy.  Breathing was not.  I was hunched over the curb in the fetal position in incredible pain.  They convinced me to go to the hospital and as they put a neck collar on, rolled me over, and strapped me to the back board the pain was perhaps the most severe I have ever experienced.  As they transported me to the hospital I overheard the ambulance notifying the ER that they were transporting patient with a likely broken neck and/ or back.  Strangely, in that moment two things crossed my mind.  One- they were going to cut off my brand new Tri4Him race kit.  Race kits are pretty expensive and this was brand new!  Two- momma always says wear clean underwear in case you have to go to the ER; well with that brand new tri kit I wasn’t wearing any underwear, so I forewarned the medics.  Fortunately the uniform remained intact. 

My largest reluctance to go to the hospital was I knew the first thing they would do is poke in IV into me- I hate needles!  I assured them as an athlete in the middle of a workout I was more than adequately hydrated and that temporarily kept them at bay.  I was sent for cat scans and x-rays of my vertebrae, but despite the initial prognosis, I had no damage to my spinal system.  Giro makes a fine helmet (it used to be round), but all credit goes to God for protecting me that day.  The relief was immeasurable, but the soft tissue damage in my back was still incredibly painful.  I was released from the hospital, but after sitting up and making my way into a wheel chair I passed out from the pain.  I awoke in a sweat and was being wheeled back into the room where they wanted to stick me with an IV.  Once again I refused and I was released shortly after.  I am grateful for those who came to the hospital and supported me in prayer and in word over my recovery.    I slept in my recliner for weeks; it was too painful to rollover or sit up in bed.  I am very grateful for my chiroprator friend who provided daily treatment and massage.  My back healed, but the longest lingering injury was to my wrist.  As my spine was the major concern in the ER, it was never even looked at.It took a over six months to regain full use. 

Just three weeks later I raced.  It wasn’t a good performance by any means, but I raced with a new understanding.  I had been a member of Tri4Him for a while, but now I knew what it meant to race triathlon for Christ.  Just this morning a 24 year old professional cyclist was killed after a crash in the Giro d’Italia.  Others have been paralyzed or permanently injured in similar accidents, but only by His grace and mercy was I spared.  Not only could I do important things like perform my job and hold my kids, I could do frivolous stuff like triathlon.  It was to His credit that I completed that race, every race, and run the race of life.

So that brings us back to the present.  I‘m not after revenge, but I do have unsettled business to take care of at Sylvan Beach; a reckoning if you will.  As I compete in that race on June 12, thoughts of a year prior will not be far.  I will draw on those who lovingly supported me as well as the God who spared and ultimately healed me to a full recovery.   

The Houston area is preparing to host Texas’ first ever Ironman event- Memorial Herman Ironman Texas.  The 140.6 mile race is on May 21st and includes a host of top ranked professional triathletes as well as solid representation from Tri4Him members.  The race course starts, transitions, and finishes in the Woodlands and promises to be a great route.  It is a truly epic thing to witness the triumph of an Ironman finish line.  Ironman hopefuls have 17 hours to complete the race, with the cutoff coming at midnight.  The largest crowds and loudest cheers come for those finishing with seconds to spare.  I am confident that that day will be a huge motivator to push through my training over the next few months.  Best wishes to Tobey (www.teamstevenstri.blogspot.com), Kelly (www.kellyryanroadtoironman.blogspot.com), Ronnie, Rik, Slade, Todd, John, Karen, Johanna, Suzette, Wendi, and everyone else competing!  It has been a pleasure to train with these guys and I have every confidence in each of their abilities.  As I have mentioned before, it takes a village to make an Ironman, and I am proud to be supporting this group of athletes. See you at the finish line!

I am currently three weeks in to a 12 week speed building plan.  These high intensity workouts fit nicely into the schedule as the summer months are filled with sprint and olympic distance races.  This plan is also a welcome relief, with swims limited to 30 minutes, rides 1.5 hours, and runs 1 hour.  Hard to believe that we are just nine weeks out from the start of our four month Ironman race prep plan where swims will exceed an hour, rides up to six hours, and almost three hour runs.  It’s great to have David healed up from his injury and we all hope to see him racing soon.  Big congrats to his wife piper, who rocked her triathlon debut last month at the Lonestar Triathlon Festival!  I recently had my first ever triathlon win.  No, I didn’t win a race (yet), but I did win a photo contest from the Kemah Triathlon.  I got a great shot of the winner, Andrew Yoder, wings spread flying into the finish chute.  Top prize landed me entry into the 2012 TX3 series, a cumulative competition held over three local races.  After Ironman this year, I’ll be looking forward to the short course stuff!  I had to brag to Nicole despite her status as a professional photographer (http://www.capturedbynicole.net/), I am an award winning photographer- Thanks for letting me use your camera!

Speaking of Nicole, we will celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary later this month.  Every year of our marriage has been full blessings and new adventures and this year has been no exception.  She is a wonderful wife to me and an excellent mother to our children.  I am so proud of her photography business’ success.  In addition to our anniversary, before the month is out we will celebrate Bella’s birthday, Jacob’s preschool graduation, and Claire’s completion of kindergarten, so we’re heading out for fun, relaxation, and family time on a cruise to the Mexican Caribbean.    

Next up- a report from Ironman Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment